Reporting to the Chief Administration Officer, the Sagkeeng Retail Stores General Manager is responsible for improving efficiency and increasing store profits while managing both First Nation stores overall operations. This includes support to all aspects of the stores’ activities with a focus on groceries, store merchandising, gasoline sales and customer attraction. This position is also responsible for ensuring administrative, functional, and training support is provided to all departments in both stores as well as purchasing, pricing, financial planning and analysis, budgeting, and optimum staffing.
- Responsible for the overall oversight of the First Nation owned stores – Superstore and Mamaweenoog;
- Provide leadership and coaching to each store manager to ensure all aspects of retail operations are considered including staffing, pricing, purchasing etc.
- Maintains store staff results by recruiting, selecting, and training employees, and providing appropriate coaching, counselling and corrective action and discipline when required,
- Achieves financial objectives by preparing an annual budget, scheduling expenditures, analysing variances and initiating corrective actions,
- Identify and implement loss prevention measures, cash custodies and controls, regular reporting, and policies and guidelines for both stores.
- Identifies current and future customer requirements by establishing rapport with potential and present customers and other persons in a position to understand service requirements,
- Ensures availability of appropriate merchandise and services and maintaining adequate inventories including the prompt and accurate recording of inventories,
- Responsible for database management, reconciling physical counts with computer data and resolving discrepancies; applies product codes, labels, price tags for identification/control and POS scanning,
- Formulates pricing policies by reviewing merchandising activities, determining additional need sales promotion, authorizing clearance sales, studying trends,
- Secures merchandise by implementing security systems, protocols and measures,
- Markets merchandise by studying advertising, sales promotion, and display plans and analyzing operating and financial statements for profitability ratios,
- Other duties as required,
- Degree or Certificate in business, commerce, or retail management,
- Minimum five (5) years in a retail food establishment or distribution company with at least two (2) years in a supervisory role,
- Lead by example with a demonstrated ability to train, coach and motivate staff,
- Strong business acumen with solid business experience,
- Good time management and proven ability to meet deadlines,
- Comfortable discussing, promoting and selling products,
- Demonstrated ability to develop and nurture positive working relationships,
- Professional, responsible and possess a positive work attitude,
- Excellent communication skills both verbally and written,
- Highly organized with strong attention to detail,
- Knowledge of retail management best practices
- Excellent teamwork and team-building skills,
- Ability to work under minimum supervision and a self-starter with the ability to multi-task, and work under pressure
- Ability to stand for long period of time
- Evidence of a collaborative leadership style with effective team building skills
- Strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills including listening, tact, discretion, persuasion, negotiation and presentation skills
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills with the ability to identify trends, establish benchmarks, as well as provide credible analysis and business recommendations.
Application deadline: September 29, 2023
Applicants MUST submit:
- Cover letter/ résumé
- Criminal record check
- Vulnerable sectors check
- Photocopy of driver’s license
Box 8, Fort Alexander, MB
Cover letters and résumés can be mailed to the above address or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org,
LATE SUBMISSIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES
Please be advised that only those selected for an interview will be contacted
PLEASE NOTE: Applicants without current/updated contact information may be removed from the competition.